Friday, September 23, 2011

Tear Down

Starting my blog about my 1972 Datsun 240z resto-mod. I got this car in June of 2011. There were many reasons why i choose to get a 240z. After moving to california i starting to searching for a project car to start restoring and modifying. I wanted a car that met the following criteria:

  • Had to be lightweight and a uni-body. I hate frame on rails. This criteria is more of a personal opinion
  • Had to be pre-74 to beat the stupid smog laws in california
  • Had to be readily availible so i wouldnt be gouged by NOS parts
  • Had to be of all steel construction so repairs would be easy
After searching around i decided on either a 240z or a Datsun 510. I am not sure if the 510 is a uni-body, but my girlfriend said it looked like a clown car and i didnt want to carry an extra two passengers (240z only has 2 seats!). Also the 240z has a large engine bay making the engine choice wide open. So... I got a 72 240z from an old tug boat captain in sebastapol, ca. This was my first mistake (an probably not my last), because he used the car to drive down to the ports in the 80's = sea salt rusting the car! Anyways im from michigan and im used to crappy cars and im already vested in the car so moving forward. I got the car stripped and sand blasted. I made sure to save the lights, dash (even though it was cracked), and the glass. I had to buy a new windshield and hatch since mine were junk

Car when i picked it up and tear down:



No comments:

Post a Comment